Nissan Versa among most inexpensive cars
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The average price of a new car this year is right around $30,000. If you're looking to spend a lot less, you can.
The base model of the Nissan Versa is one of the lowest-priced cars on the market today at just under $11,000. The one with the optional automatic transmission is priced at just over $13,000.
Air conditioning is standard. Nissan figured everyone wants that anyway these days, and there's a basic sound system. That's about the end of what you get.
You'll soon discover what you don't get, especially compared to most modern cars. Everything is manual. The old-school key has to go in the slot. There's no remote, no electric door locks, and manual windows require hand cranking.
There are no electric mirrors either, and the right side one is a bit of a reach to adjust. But that aside, the Versa is a very roomy car, and even has a pretty sleek design.
There is a surprising number of other cars that can be purchased for well under $15,000. Hyundai's new Accent starts at $12,500, and the Kia Rio has a base price of about $1,000 more. There's also the Chevy Sonic, which starts at around $14,000.
There's not much profit for car companies in this low-price arena, but it's a good way to get people into a brand. Compared to inexpensive cars from a decade or two ago, they're way safer with things like airbags and stability control.
Sure, cars like these may not have much in the way of luxury, but they will do something well: get you from point A to point B.
auto news, car tips, dave kunz
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 36 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 11 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
23 min ago