2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel offers sportiness for less
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- As consumers look for higher gas mileage, a few car brands are introducing a new generation of clean sporty vehicles with diesel power.
The 2013 Porsche Cayenne has become a familiar sight on the road and maintains the performance and prestige of a Porsche in a family-type vehicle.
Nevertheless, the 2013 Cayenne carries something that's not quite as familiar: diesel power. The diesel engine packs a big wallop yet delivers exceptional fuel economy.
The Porsche is stingy with fuel with EPA estimates of 19 MPG city and 29 MPG highway, a huge improvement over the V8 gasoline-powered Cayenne S.
Diesel fuel often tends to cost more than premium unleaded, but this interesting variation on Porsche's sporty SUV can be a money and resource saver in the long run.
The 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel still performs like a Porsche. The diesel engine makes huge amounts of torque to help it leap off the line. Its handling is good, as well as is its stopping, due to its massive brakes.
Other German car brands like Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz have already started selling diesel-powered SUVs, but the 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel is the sportiest performer.
In Europe, vehicles that combine diesel-power and sportiness have gained much popularity. For example, consumers can buy a Volkswagen GTD in Europe which looks like the GTI that's sold in the United States. The "D" in Volkswagen GTD stands for diesel.
This combination of sporty GTI handling and diesel efficiency has so far stayed overseas, but Volkswagen does sell a lot of cars in the U.S. with the same engine. It's conceivable they could offer the GTD in the U.S. if they think there might be demand for it.
If you're still not convinced that diesel cars can perform well, an Audi dominated endurance racing for many years with diesel power.
As for street cars, the continuing fluctuation in oil prices has many people looking for alternatives to conventional gasoline power.
The fuel-efficient 2013 Cayenne Diesel's starting base price is $55,700.
auto news, car tips, dave kunz
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide 37 min ago
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive 9 min ago
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- Torrance man sues over Dorner police shooting
- Vehicle slams into tree, erupts in flames
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- Zuma Beach bus line launched from Thousand Oaks
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- 7-Eleven stores exploited immigrants - feds
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing 26 min ago
- Zimmerman attorneys pick 40 potential jurors
- Dave Chappelle to headline Funny or Die tour
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy 55 min ago