Best full-size, fuel-efficient pickup trucks
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Pickup trucks aren't just for hauling stuff around. More and more, they're built for everyday driving. Full-sized pickups have plenty of room and capability. They're pricey though - stickered at around $42,000.
"Not only can you use them for heavy work or towing but now they're also civilized enough to serve as family transportation," said Tom Mutchler of Consumer Reports.
Ford's F-150 pickup truck is the top-seller and the ladder for climbing into the bed is a clever feature. But it doesn't earn top scores in Consumer Reports' test - in part because handling isn't agile and the ride isn't defined.
"In our tests, both the Chevy and the Ram outscores the Ford F-150 by a considerable margin," said Mutchler.
Redesigned for 2014, the Chevy Silverado handles well plus it gets 16 miles per gallon - the best fuel economy of any full-size V8 pickup.
"It also has very competitive payload and tow ratings and it has a low-step in height that makes it easy to get in and get out," said Mutchler.
The Ram 1500 trails the competition in sales. It was updated for 2013, plus a unique rear coil spring suspension gives it the best ride of any full-size truck and the interior is very quiet.
So which one should you choose?
"The Silverado is the better truck," said Mutchler. "It has a higher payload and tow ratings. It also is more fuel-efficient. But for everyday commuting, if you're not using all that truck capability, the Ram is more luxurious and more pleasant."
These trucks are expensive, but, Consumer Reports says, because it's a competitive market, bargaining could save you thousands.
auto news, consumer reports, car tips, dave kunz
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 7 min ago
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 33 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...