Best full-size, fuel-efficient pickup trucks
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Pickup trucks aren't just for hauling stuff around. More and more, they're built for everyday driving. Full-sized pickups have plenty of room and capability. They're pricey though - stickered at around $42,000.
"Not only can you use them for heavy work or towing but now they're also civilized enough to serve as family transportation," said Tom Mutchler of Consumer Reports.
Ford's F-150 pickup truck is the top-seller and the ladder for climbing into the bed is a clever feature. But it doesn't earn top scores in Consumer Reports' test - in part because handling isn't agile and the ride isn't defined.
"In our tests, both the Chevy and the Ram outscores the Ford F-150 by a considerable margin," said Mutchler.
Redesigned for 2014, the Chevy Silverado handles well plus it gets 16 miles per gallon - the best fuel economy of any full-size V8 pickup.
"It also has very competitive payload and tow ratings and it has a low-step in height that makes it easy to get in and get out," said Mutchler.
The Ram 1500 trails the competition in sales. It was updated for 2013, plus a unique rear coil spring suspension gives it the best ride of any full-size truck and the interior is very quiet.
So which one should you choose?
"The Silverado is the better truck," said Mutchler. "It has a higher payload and tow ratings. It also is more fuel-efficient. But for everyday commuting, if you're not using all that truck capability, the Ram is more luxurious and more pleasant."
These trucks are expensive, but, Consumer Reports says, because it's a competitive market, bargaining could save you thousands.
auto news, consumer reports, car tips, dave kunz
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)