Best full-size, fuel-efficient pickup trucks
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Pickup trucks aren't just for hauling stuff around. More and more, they're built for everyday driving. Full-sized pickups have plenty of room and capability. They're pricey though - stickered at around $42,000.
"Not only can you use them for heavy work or towing but now they're also civilized enough to serve as family transportation," said Tom Mutchler of Consumer Reports.
Ford's F-150 pickup truck is the top-seller and the ladder for climbing into the bed is a clever feature. But it doesn't earn top scores in Consumer Reports' test - in part because handling isn't agile and the ride isn't defined.
"In our tests, both the Chevy and the Ram outscores the Ford F-150 by a considerable margin," said Mutchler.
Redesigned for 2014, the Chevy Silverado handles well plus it gets 16 miles per gallon - the best fuel economy of any full-size V8 pickup.
"It also has very competitive payload and tow ratings and it has a low-step in height that makes it easy to get in and get out," said Mutchler.
The Ram 1500 trails the competition in sales. It was updated for 2013, plus a unique rear coil spring suspension gives it the best ride of any full-size truck and the interior is very quiet.
So which one should you choose?
"The Silverado is the better truck," said Mutchler. "It has a higher payload and tow ratings. It also is more fuel-efficient. But for everyday commuting, if you're not using all that truck capability, the Ram is more luxurious and more pleasant."
These trucks are expensive, but, Consumer Reports says, because it's a competitive market, bargaining could save you thousands.
auto news, consumer reports, car tips, dave kunz
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 43 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman helps friend who is a single mom 4 min ago
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)