Ready SoCal: Store crucial documents
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- If a disaster were to hit Southern California, how prepared would you be? How would you make sure you have your crucial documents?
If you were told to evacuate your home in 10 minutes or less, would you know where all of your important papers are? You might need your homeowner's insurance policy, birth certificates, medical cards, bank account numbers and more. However, before that happens, now is the time to take a few photos.
"I always recommend taking pictures of your interior in case you have to prove the value of your goods," said Herb Kahn, disaster preparedness expert.
Kahn has lots of great ideas for getting ready before tragedy strikes. One is having a bag ready to grab near the front door.
In it you should have several different emergency items including a computer disc.
"All my essential papers, such as driver's license, credit card numbers, mortgage papers, income tax ... anything that's essential that I have to retrieve that is part of my identity," said Khan.
Besides a computer disc, Herb says you can use inexpensive flash or "thumb drive" devices.
"You can store all of your documentation - all of your personal documentation - on this. You can plug it in to any computer, instead of carrying all the paperwork with you. Everything is minimized," said Kahn.
A fire-retardant box is one good place to store your thumb drive, computer disc or important documents. Other good locations include:
- Safe Deposit Box
- With a Friend or Relative
- The Freezer
Kahn has a list of some of the documents you should have at the ready:
- Insurance Policies
- Credit Card Numbers
- Bank Account Numbers
- Vehicle Titles
- List of Medications
- Birth Certificates
Another good reason to have some cash is that if the power goes out, then the ATMs won't be working.
For more information:
Ready (Disaster preparedness)
Prepare, plan and stay informed with Ready.com.
Visit the Web site for Ready.com
FEMA: Are you ready?
An in-depth guide to citizen preparedness by FEMA.
Visit the Web site for FEMA
Red Cross Disaster Services
American Red Cross preparedness information.
Visit the Web site for the American Red Cross
consumer news, ric romero
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial 25 min ago
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe 40 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 46 min ago
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death 22 min ago
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes 2 min ago
- Informant speaks out on jail abuse probe 39 min ago
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- 'Button-down' Bandit' strikes Corona bank
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke