Save Money / Consumer News
Are you ready to handle an emergency?
Imagine the fire creeping close to your home so close, law enforcement tells you to evacuate right away. Would you know what to take and where to find it? The answer is prepare now.
Herb Kahn is an expert at disaster preparedness with lots of great ideas for getting ready before tragedy strikes. Such as a grab and go bag near the front door.
In it you should have several different emergency items including, a computer disc. That's right, a computer disc.
"All my essential papers such as: driver's license, credit card numbers, mortgage papers, income tax -- anything that is essential that I have to retrieve that is part of my identity," said Kahn.
Besides a computer disc, Herb says you can use inexpensive flash or thumb drive devices.
"You can store all of your documentation, all your personal documentation on this. You can plug it into any computer. Instead of carrying all of the paperwork with you everything is minimized," said Kahn.
A fire retardant box is one good place to store your thumb drive, computer disc, or important documents, and so are:
- Safe Deposit Box
- With a Friend or Relative
One of Herb's favorite places is, the freezer.
"This is a waterproof, velcro closure bag. I keep important documents in here. You can see on the front I have deeds and house loans," said Kahn. "There are medical records and personal records in here as well. The reason I keep them in the freezer is because if there is a fire in your house the last freezer is the last thing to burn."
So here's a short list of some of the documents you should have ready:
- Insurance Policies
- Credit Card Numbers
- Bank Account Numbers
- Vehicle Titles
- List of Medications
- Birth Certificates
In a fire panic sets in so think of this one as a wake up call to get ready.
One more thing to have on hand is cash. In some disasters if the power goes out then so do ATM's and then you can't get the money you might need right away.
save money / consumer news, ric romero
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51 9 min ago
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman 7 min ago
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged elder abuse
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- Search for Jimmy Hoffa yields nothing, again
- Aug. trial set for Ohio man in kidnap case
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- Baby bath seats recalled due to drowning fear
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)