Update your summer wardrobe on a budget
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Store windows are filled with the hottest looks for the summer. If you're on a tight budget, keeping up with the latest trends could get expensive.
But you may not need to go on a shopping spree to make a fresh fashion statement as you may already have what you need.
- Video: Shop your closet for a new summer look
- Related: Get the hot fashion trends for summer
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
It's as simple as black and white, colors most of us have in our closets. You can't go wrong with this look.
"Black and white is one of the easiest trends to get right," said Jane Loddo from Harper's Bazaar magazine. "It's a great trend because you can create a bit of drama without adding color."
Loddo says you can maximize your wardrobe with pieces you already own. Try pairing a basic black skirt with an animal print.
"The key to getting this trend right is you wear your animal prints with neutrals or black. You're never going to wear your animal print looks head-to-toe," said Loddo. "It's a brand new look, it's a bit reinvented. And you're all set and you're not really spending too much money."
If you're looking for an alternative to skirts, shorts may be the answer.
"Check out the shorts in your closet because this is a great item because shorts now have become a fashion must. And that's because they're no longer considered weekend wear only," said Loddo.
You can update a sundress by changing shoes. Loddo suggests adding sexy, strappy heels to your sundress to make it more of an elegant evening look.
"Take your dress, wear a flat shoe for a weekend beach look. Add a heel, go out for a night on the town and it's one outfit," said Loddo.
By pairing items you already have in your closet, you can spend more money on accessories to update your look.
Try a handbag in a bright color like tangerine for summer and fall. And if you want to invest in a good pair of shoes, go neutral.
"You wear these items, a pair of shoes or a bag, a lot more frequently. These have a much longer shelf life," said Loddo. "It will maximize your budget more."
Items seen in video:
- Floral black and White dress with ruffles from Black House, White Market
- White shorts from Black House, White Market
- Black sundress with bright floral print from French Connection
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 12 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre