Consumer Reports rates different freezers
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Most owners of freezers just love having one and most do a pretty good job. So we'll show you two best buys, and, we'll show you one freezer to avoid.
Colleen Bachmann's had her freezer for 15 years and says it saves her lots of money.
- Video: Consumer Reports rates different freezers
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
"You can buy a lot of stuff on sale and store it," said Bachmann.
Consumer Reports just tested freezers and says they don't look all that different. There are still two types -- uprights and chests.
To see how much energy they use, testers turned the room temperature up to 90 degrees. Then they set the freezers to the optimum temperature for storing frozen food - zero degrees - and filled each freezer to capacity. The $750 Haier freezer had some problems. It couldn't quite make it to zero degrees in Consumer Reports' energy tests.
"We tested two of them and found they used much more energy than any of the other freezers we tested," said Celia Kuperszmid Lehrman from Consumer Reports.
Therefore, Consumer Reports says don't buy the Haier model HUF138EA. Another test showed many of the manual-defrost upright freezers don't cool all that evenly.
"We found temperatures up to 19 degrees higher on the door shelves than in the rest of the freezer," said Lehrman.
But the self-defrosting uprights aced Consumer Reports' temperature tests. The $600 Whirlpool is a Consumer Reports Best Buy. The Kenmore chest freezer is also good choice at $280, though you do have to defrost it.
Colleen says her freezer is the smartest purchase she's ever made.
"It's almost like your own grocery store in your basement," said Lehrman.
Consumer Reports says chest freezers have advantages. While you will have to manually defrost most of them, chest freezers cost less, use less energy, and stay colder longer in a power outage.
consumer news, ric romero
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- CA proposal: Kill switch for stolen phones?
52 min ago