Save Money / Consumer News
Shapewear popular, but which works best?
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- From infomercials to department stores, body shapers are big business. Fashion stylists all swear by them, and shoppers are finding shapewear in more and more places.
While many women buy shapewear (often referred to as SPANX, the name of a hugely popular brand), they often complain they're too expensive. We teamed up with Consumer Reports to find out how to get body shapers for less.
Consumer Reports ShopSmart put shapewear to the test. Four stoic staffers volunteered to wear a dress they felt could look better on them.
"They let it all hang out for our 'before' pictures," explained Jody Rohlena of Consumer Reports ShopSmart. "Then we put them in four different shapewear garments. We had a fit professional come in and evaluate them."
ShopSmart sized up four shapers:
- SPANX Hide and Sleek Hi-Rise Body Smoother ($68)
- SPANX In-Power Line Super Higher Power ($38)
- ASSETS by Sara Blakely from Target ($20)
- Kymaro New Body Shaper ($29)
It turns out the $38 SPANX In-Power Line Super Higher Power worked the best for three of the women. But the fourth panelist says she felt great in the $20 ASSETS by Sara Blakely from Target.
Just in case men are feeling a little left out, there are SPANX for men. A male Consumer Reports employee gave them a try, and while they slimmed him down, he reports that they were difficult to put on and take off, and weren't very comfortable to wear.
shopping, save money / consumer news, leslie sykes
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash 2 min ago
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot 9 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)