Save Money / Consumer News
Top 7 Chinese restaurants around LA area
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- There are hundreds of Chinese restaurants across Southern California. ABC7 teams up with Citysearch.com to find the top 7 places to get Chinese cuisine around Los Angeles.
WP24 at L.A. Live is at the top of the list because the spacious, elegant restaurant weaves along the 24th floor of the Ritz Carlton.
"We have that kind of unique spin on Chinese food, so you're kind of familiar with it, but there's always something new on the menu," said Sara Johannes is the Chef de Cuisine of WP24.
Updated classics include decadent lamb chops, tender suckling pig, salt-encrusted sea bass and the fiery Angry Lobster, a fresh, whole, 2-lb. lobster flavored with black beans, cilantro and more.
"It's 'angry' because it's pretty spicy ... we can certainly tone it down for you, but why would you?" Johannes said with a laugh.
2. Yang Chow
Yang Chow is in the heart of Chinatown and has been the go-to place for authentic Chinese food since 1976. The walls are lined with pictures of celebrities who flock to Yang Chow when they're in the mood for traditional, fresh plates of Chinese.
"Good food, good quality food and everybody finds out you have good customer service, and they like it," said manager William Sung.
Hungry patrons line up to feast on the famous 'slippery shrimp,' named because the shrimp can be difficult to grab with chopsticks.
3. Chi Dynasty
Feast on the sesame chicken, and walnut shrimp at Chi Dynasty, located in Los Feliz.
"When you think Chinese food in L.A., you think Chi Dynasty. This has been a favorite for almost 30 years," said Mar Yvette, editor of Citysearch.com.
According to Yvette, one of the most popular dishes on the menu is the Chinese chicken salad.
The popularity of the Los Feliz location has led to the recent opening of a Studio City location.
Here are the Chinese restaurants rounding out the top 7:
4. Din Tai Fung in Arcadia (1108 S. Baldwin Ave., (626) 574-7068)
5. Empress Pavilion in Chinatown
6. Happy Family Restaurant in Monterey Park (111 N. Atlantic Blvd., (626) 282-8986)
7. Full House Seafood Restaurant in Chinatown (963 N. Hill St., (213) 617-8382)
Great Chinese food is, of course, not exclusive to Los Angeles:
Orange County: Peking Gourmet Chinese Restaurant in Garden Grove
Inland Empire: Dragon House in Moreno Valley
Ventura County: Gourmet Oriental in Ventura (67 W. Main St. Ste. C, (805) 643-8188)
There's no way this list is complete. Share your favorite in the comments below!
top 7, food, save money / consumer news, alysha del valle
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 38 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43 43 min ago
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role