Save Money / Consumer News
Verizon iPhone tests positive for 'Death Grip'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Could the new Verizon iPhone 4 from Apple have an antenna problem causing dropped calls and poor reception?
The iPhone has been one of the most popular phones ever made selling nearly 47 million units last year alone.
When Verizon announced it was selling the iPhone 4 earlier this year, pre-sales for the phone set records for the company.
Recent tests from Consumer Reports say it does have issues similar to the model sold through AT&T last year.
Last year AT&T received numerous complaints about poor reception and dropped calls with their version of the iPhone 4.
The cause seemed to be the antenna and a gap that's built around the edge of the phone.
So in July, Apple CEO Steve Jobs offered its customers a free case or bumper to take care of the problem.
But with Verizon's version of the iPhone 4, Apple claimed it had corrected the antenna problem and there would be no need for a bumper.
Consumer Reports test results show it's still not working.
"We found the Verizon iPhone has a similar problem to the one with the AT&T iPhone," Said Mike Gikas of Consumer Reports.
Consumer Reports looked at five other smart phones on the Verizon network and none of them had the same issues.
Buying a case for the Verizon iPhone seems to fix the problem.
apple, app, iPhone, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks