Save Money / Consumer News
Kamala Harris announces mortgage fraud probe
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- California's new attorney general is taking dead aim at mortgage fraud. Kamala Harris announced Monday a strike force designed to prosecute illegal activity in the mortgage process.
Harris and Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announced the creation of a 25-person task force to target businesses that Harris says helped cause the downfall of the housing market and put thousands of houses into foreclosure.
"California, as the biggest state in the country, was hit the hardest," said Harris. "Last year alone there were nearly 550,000 foreclosure filings against California homes."
A team of 17 lawyers and eight special agents from the state Department of Justice will make up the task force and will concentrate on pursuing three areas of the mortgage mess:
- Corporate fraud
- Fraudulent lending practices
"The American Dream -- for most of us, home ownership is a pillar of that dream, and too many people in this city have lost that dream," said Villaraigosa at Monday's news conference.
How tough will it be to prosecute the criminals?
Anthony Mozilo, former CEO of Countrywide Financial, agreed to a multimillion-dollar settlement recently, but was never criminally prosecuted.
"Where there is the evidence to prove a crime, you can be sure those crimes will be prosecuted," said Harris.
real estate, fraud, antonio villaraigosa, department of justice, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 14 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 41 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 3 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 7 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 9 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
43 min ago