Save Money / Consumer News
Kamala Harris announces mortgage fraud probe
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- California's new attorney general is taking dead aim at mortgage fraud. Kamala Harris announced Monday a strike force designed to prosecute illegal activity in the mortgage process.
Harris and Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announced the creation of a 25-person task force to target businesses that Harris says helped cause the downfall of the housing market and put thousands of houses into foreclosure.
"California, as the biggest state in the country, was hit the hardest," said Harris. "Last year alone there were nearly 550,000 foreclosure filings against California homes."
A team of 17 lawyers and eight special agents from the state Department of Justice will make up the task force and will concentrate on pursuing three areas of the mortgage mess:
- Corporate fraud
- Fraudulent lending practices
"The American Dream -- for most of us, home ownership is a pillar of that dream, and too many people in this city have lost that dream," said Villaraigosa at Monday's news conference.
How tough will it be to prosecute the criminals?
Anthony Mozilo, former CEO of Countrywide Financial, agreed to a multimillion-dollar settlement recently, but was never criminally prosecuted.
"Where there is the evidence to prove a crime, you can be sure those crimes will be prosecuted," said Harris.
real estate, fraud, antonio villaraigosa, department of justice, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis