Save Money / Consumer News
Distressed SoCal homeowners get help with mortgages
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Distressed homeowners in Southern California got help with their mortgages on Thursday at an event sponsored by the Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America.
Over the next five days, homeowners can get help at a mortgage modification event in Exposition Park sponsored by the NACA, which is back in Los Angeles for its Save the Dream tour.
"People have been trying with their banks all the time, and nothing happens. That's why we created this program," said Darren Duarte of NACA. "We have legally binding contracts with all the major lenders, including investors Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, that basically says if a homeowner comes to us and they show this is unaffordable, you got to help them."
Los Angeles homeowner Cesar Espinol was one of many people who camped out overnight outside the Shrine Expo Center, hoping to meet with a counselor.
"I'm about to possibly stop making payments, and I'm going to see if they can help me with that," said Espinol.
Antonio Frederico of Anaheim Hills said his wife sent him out to the Shrine, saying they had to do something.
"We're looking for hopefully some kind loan modification, some kind of help," he said.
NACA is the largest housing services organization in the country. Some of the major lenders were at the event, including Bank of America and Chase.
"The vast majority will get a solution when they leave today," said Bruce Marks of NACA.
According to NACA, the people who go through the process have a better than 50-50 shot at having their mortgage modified.
"I hope they can help me this time," said Rudy McGee of Los Angeles.
NACA will be set up in Exposition Park from Thursday, June 2 to Monday, June 6 from 8 a.m. to. 8 p.m.
economy, housing market, finance, unemployment, save money / consumer news, sid garcia
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 10 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer 40 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)