Save Money / Consumer News
SoCal residents stay nearby due to gas prices
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two million Southern Californians are expected to travel for the Fourth of July holiday weekend, but many people say they won't be going that far due to high gas prices.
Auto Club officials say there's roughly a 3-percent decline from the number that hit the road last year, and it is likely due to the fact that gas prices are nearly 70 cents higher than this time last year.
There is a bit of good news at the pump, prices are under $4 a gallon. Auto club officials say since peak prices in May the cost of gas has dropped 50 cents.
Burbank resident Nick Chachaturyan said his family is headed to Palm Springs because it's close.
"Usually we do Las Vegas. Economy's down," he said.
AAA officials say the five major hotspots are San Diego, Las Vegas, San Francisco, the Central Coast and Orange County - primarily to visit Disneyland.
Los Angeles World Airport officials estimate around 900,000 travelers will fly in and out of LAX this 4th of July weekend, that's a 7.6 percent increase over last year. But most of those leaving for the holiday are expected to drive.
No matter where you're driving, be advised the California Highway Patrol is out there. They're on maximum enforcement patrol throughout the three day holiday weekend.
holiday, travel, gas price, save money / consumer news, leo stallworth
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought 6 min ago
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 23 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis