Save Money / Consumer News
SoCal residents stay nearby due to gas prices
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two million Southern Californians are expected to travel for the Fourth of July holiday weekend, but many people say they won't be going that far due to high gas prices.
Auto Club officials say there's roughly a 3-percent decline from the number that hit the road last year, and it is likely due to the fact that gas prices are nearly 70 cents higher than this time last year.
There is a bit of good news at the pump, prices are under $4 a gallon. Auto club officials say since peak prices in May the cost of gas has dropped 50 cents.
Burbank resident Nick Chachaturyan said his family is headed to Palm Springs because it's close.
"Usually we do Las Vegas. Economy's down," he said.
AAA officials say the five major hotspots are San Diego, Las Vegas, San Francisco, the Central Coast and Orange County - primarily to visit Disneyland.
Los Angeles World Airport officials estimate around 900,000 travelers will fly in and out of LAX this 4th of July weekend, that's a 7.6 percent increase over last year. But most of those leaving for the holiday are expected to drive.
No matter where you're driving, be advised the California Highway Patrol is out there. They're on maximum enforcement patrol throughout the three day holiday weekend.
holiday, travel, gas price, save money / consumer news, leo stallworth
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged 44 min ago
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour