Save Money / Consumer News
Stay-at-home dad blogs starting to trend
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Lots of stay-at-home moms out there are blogging. But now dads are also getting into the act, writing about everything from do-it-yourself projects to comparing strollers.
The new trend is getting the attention of advertisers who want to target the "daddy demographic."
Trey Burley is part of a growing group of guys: stay-at-home dads who juggle kids, housework, and a work-at-home gig, too.
Burley says his life is exhausting but rewarding. He tells others about it on his blog, DaddyMojo.net.
Just like the "mommy bloggers" out there who advertisers love connecting with, dads are starting to trend, spreading the word about everything from razors to toilet repair.
"More men are getting into the blogging part of parenting and social media," Burley said.
Branding and marketing guru Derrick Daye said mainstream companies are taking notice.
"What we have here is an important, emerging market of two million-plus men. Marketers that want to connect with these stay-at-home dads must take the time to understand them and evolve to meet the needs of this new market," Daye said.
New statistics show men are now the primary shoppers in 32 percent of households, more than double the number 20 years ago.
"In the traditional context of marketing to men, you're thinking tools, trucks, sports gears. Where in this shift with marketing to men, organizations are discovering there are new opportunities like baby products, food or fashion," Daye said.
And they're targeting the dad demographic.
"Look at Kolcraft, for example, they are manufacturing Jeep-branded strollers. We have a manufacturer out there called Diaper Dude and they manufacture camouflage diaper bags," Daye said.
Burley said it's an interesting new frontier for fathers, but worth it financially and emotionally for dads.
"It's more work than I thought it would be but it's also much more fun," Burley said.
technology, save money / consumer news, phillip palmer
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat 52 min ago
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla. 34 min ago
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks