Save Money / Consumer News
Got stuff you don't use? You can rent it out
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Need a car for a day or a weekend? Kristin Campbell rents hers out all the time.
She lists it on SnapGoods.com, one of a growing number of websites that allow owners to post their possessions for rent.
You can find anything from cars to cameras - even disco balls for rent.
"If you're the person who owns the items, the ability to deflate costs on something that you spent a good deal of money on is great, particularly if you're not using it," said Ron J. Williams of SnapGoods.
It seems people have started to figure out that spending a ton of money on something they may only need every now and then is no longer practical.
"If I don't have to buy a $15,000 HD red camera, and instead can get it for 500 bucks for the week or the day. I win, you win," Williams said.
And it's not just stuff you can rent out. On sites like ParkatmyHouse.com, you can make money off your driveway.
"It's really popular if you live near a ball park or stadium," said Kyle Taylor of the blog ThePennyHoarder.com.
There's even a storeatmyhouse.com, which is just what the title suggests.
"People are renting out their extra closet space and attic space," Taylor said.
So just how much can you make by renting out your stuff? More than $200 a month for renting your driveway, $300 for your car for a week or $20 for your kitchen mixer for the day. But prices can vary, depending on several factors.
"We let the demand side drive the initial request and parameters and then they can debate back and forth on this really simple interface that we give people," Williams said.
But you still need to follow some precautions. Be sure the site you rent your stuff through offers you protection in case something goes wrong. Also, check your own insurance policies and zoning laws to make sure it's OK to rent out your car or a parking space.
technology, save money / consumer news, marc brown
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- LA sheriffs rescue stranded family of seven
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- Tornadoes sweep across Kansas and Oklahoma 15 min ago
- Obama addresses Morehouse College graduates
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list