Save Money / Consumer News
India rolls out tablet computer under $50
NEW DELHI (KABC) -- If the iPad is too pricy for you, there's a new tablet computer in India being billed as the world's cheapest computer.
The device, called Aakash, or "sky" in Hindi, is expected to sell for about $45 each, and subsidies will reduce that to $35 for students and teachers.
In comparison, the cheapest Apple iPad tablet costs $499, while the recently announced Kindle Fire will sell for $199.
The Aakash's screen measures about 7 inches, which is smaller than the iPad.
The tablet is being distributed by India's Ministry of Education to college students who will be able to upload an application to listen to lectures.
Despite a growing tech industry and decades of robust economic growth, there are still hundreds of thousands of Indians with no electricity, let alone access to computers and information that could help farmers improve yields, business startups reach clients, or students qualify for university.
The launch of the tablet, which was attended by hundreds of students, followed five years of efforts to design a $10 computer that could bridge the country's vast digital divide.
Although the $10 goal wasn't achieved, the Aakash has a HD color screen and provides word processing, Web browsing and video conferencing. The Android 2.2-based device has two USB ports and 256 megabytes of RAM. Like the iPad, the Aakash has a touch screen.
Users will need Wi-Fi to go online.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
technology, apple, iPad, save money / consumer news
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials 48 min ago
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy 17 min ago
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold snap moving across Southern California 8 min ago
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film