Save Money / Consumer News
BlackBerry outages include N and S America
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Service remains sporadic for BlackBerry users in Europe, Latin America, Asia, Africa, and the outage has now reached the U.S.
According to ABC News, RIM confirmed Wednesday that the outages spread to North and South America, the only major areas unaffected as of Tuesday.
Some Twitter users in Canada reported service outages as well.
As the outages stretch into their third day, Research In Motion Ltd., the Canadian company that makes the phones, said Tuesday that a crucial link in its infrastructure had failed, and a backup didn't work either.
"We are now working to clear that backlog and restore normal service as quickly as possible," the company said in a brief statement.
Unlike other cellphone makers, RIM handles email and messaging traffic to and from its phones. When it encounters a problem, millions of subscribers are affected at once.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
blackberry, technology, save money / consumer news
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected 25 min ago
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family 53 min ago
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
42 min ago