Save Money / Consumer News
Android outperforms iPhone with GPS apps
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Sales of portable GPS units have fallen, but plenty of people are downloading navigation apps to get where they're going.
Although GPS on smartphones has improved, believe it or not when Consumer Reports tested the GPS apps, it's one area the iPhone didn't do as well as the Android.
Navigation apps are getting better than ever, says Consumer Reports. Some sport features are reality view to show major intersections, or celebrity voices that you can download for some laughs.
If you own an Android phone you're in luck. It comes with free Google navigation built right in. And it has turn-by-turn directions, just like you'd find on a regular GPS.
But if you're an iPhone user, you need to download an app to get GPS-style navigation.
"There are plenty of free options available, but we've found you tend to get what you pay for," said Jim Travers from Consumer Reports.
Consumer Reports says you can't go wrong buying an app from one of the GPS giants- Tomtom, Garmin, Navigon and Magellan.
"It's no surprise that the companies whose GPS navigators do best in our testing also make some of the top apps for the iPhone," said Travers.
But expect to pay up to $60 for a quality, name-brand app. And know that the download can eat up a chunk of your iPhone's memory.
No matter which phone you have, be aware that most have smaller screens than portable GPS units. And you'll have to factor in the cost of a mount and a charger to make the most of your smart-phone navigator.
Consumer Reports says the price of apps fluctuates, but you can save by shopping for sales, or by limiting your download to a specific region- say, the maps of the West Coast.
And a word about safety- no matter how you choose to navigate, pull over and come to a full stop whenever you program your device.
iPhone, app, android, consumer reports, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state 11 min ago
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Chile earthquake: Magnitude-6.7 hits north coast
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians