Save Money / Consumer News
US News announces best family cars for 2012
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- U.S. News & World Report's 2012 Best Cars for Families Awards were announced Wednesday. What the winners all have in common is safety and reliability.
Eight brands won awards across 18 categories, with Honda and Ford leading the way.
"They're right at the top of almost every segment in the car industry right now with fuel economy, and of course Ford has always been a leader in safety," said Jerry Key, general manager of Tuttle-Click Ford in San Juan Capistrano.
The Ford Fusion, winner of the affordable midsize car award, was lauded for its MyKey feature, which may be a handy tool for parents of teenage drivers. It limits the speed at which the car can be driven and the volume on the stereo.
The publication also liked the Fusion because it's a top safety pick of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
The Ford Taurus was named best full-size car for families, while the Ford Edge took midsize SUV.
There is another hybrid on the list besides the Fusion. It's the Toyota Highlander hybrid.
Honda's CR-V, winner of the affordable compact SUV award, has plenty of cargo space and a voice-activated navigation system.
The Honda Odyssey won for best minivan.It has automatic doors on both sides and a great entertainment system.
The Honda Fit took two best for family awards for subcompact and hatchback.
All in all, safety features, gas mileage and specialty items were the main criteria for the ratings.
The publication's list is considered one of the best sources for car rankings and reviews.
auto news, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete 43 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 2 min ago
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder 23 min ago
- Vinny Del Negro out as LA Clippers coach
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- LA voters to decide future of marijuana shops
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia 34 min ago
- SF 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10