Save Money / Consumer News
Best places for freshly baked pies in Los Angeles area
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- This coming Wednesday is Pie Day, but there's always a demand for freshly-baked, homemade pies. I went on a hunt for some of the most popular and unique pies in town.
New shops and pie stands are popping up all over Southern California, and many are offering some unusual choices. Whether it's traditional or modern, there are many choices and flavors right here in Los Angeles that you may not know about.
At The Pie Hole in downtown, all they serve is pie and coffee, and the flavors change with the season.
"It's comfort food. I think everybody has a connection to pie, whether it's a chicken pot pie or a home-cooked strawberry pie," said Sean Brennan, co-owner of The Pie Hole.
Indulge in a flaky crusted mac and cheese hand-pie, or slices of fluffy lemon meringue and rich Mexican chocolate pie. Or be adventurous, loosen your belt, and try "The Lonely Pie," which has chocolate, potato chips, chunky peanut butter and an Oreo crust.
"It's really popular right now, but it's only going to be here for a little while though," said Brennan.
IHeartPies.com is primarily a pie-delivery service with a cult-like following. Order a chocolate bourbon pecan pie, a sweet-berry mini-pie or a "chickie" pie, made with homemade marshmallows.
"There's a lot of love in it, and everything has to be handmade," said Emily Cofrancesco, co-founder of I Heart Pies.
For die-hard meat lovers, there's a steak and stout mini-pie filled with potatoes, carrots, seasonings and traditional Irish stout.
"There's nothing better than a savory pie and a nice cold beer," said Nicolas Cofrancesco, co-founder of I Heart Pies.
The Trails Cafe in Los Feliz is well-known for its pies and its location. Right outside Griffith Park, they're serving up sweet vegan strawberry-rhubarb pie and the vegetarian mushroom cashew pie. But the most coveted item is the good, old-fashioned apple pie.
"I think people get really excited when they see pie, especially when it's made from scratch," said Jenny Park, pastry chef at the Trails Cafe.
Other popular pie shops include:
- Republic of Pie in North Hollywood
- Bonert's Slice of Pie in Santa Ana
- Skeeters All American in Thousand Oaks
- The Apple Pan in West Los Angeles
food, save money / consumer news, alysha del valle
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 18 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32 7 min ago
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)