Save Money / Consumer News
Jet fuel prices going up with oil prices
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- The beaches are calling, and college students are answering. Spring break is upon us, and summer is right around the corner - 'tis the season for travel. But fliers are digging deeper into their wallets to pay for soaring airfares.
The FAA released its annual forecast this week, and it is predicting that the number of airline passengers will double in the next 20 years. But as the skies get more crowded, it's also getting more expensive. Rising oil prices mean jet fuel prices are going up.
"We've seen airfares go up 5.5 percent in February and March," said Jeff Klee of CheapAir.com, a Calabasas-based online travel company.
And that's just domestic flights. International airfares are even worse.
"We're seeing a lot of $400+ fuel surcharges and it doesn't bode well for the summer," Klee said.
He says airfares are rising because for the past several years, airlines have been cutting routes and seats, which lets them charge more for the remaining seats. But the pinch Americans have been feeling at the pump is being felt by the airlines as well.
"Every time the price of oil rises by a dollar, that costs the industry $1.6 billion," Klee said.
It's a pricy tab that is mostly being picked up by fliers.
airline, gas price, airplane, save money / consumer news, rob hayes
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited 54 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant 5 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis