Save Money / Consumer News
Prom dresses: Popular trends this season
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Young women across the country are on the hunt for their dream prom dress. I visited a couple of shops in the Southland and took a look at some of this season's popular trends in prom gowns.
Unique Vintage is a clothing boutique in Burbank that offers pin-up and modern prom looks. The hottest seller this season is the red chiffon starlet gown, affectionately nicknamed the mullet dress. The best part is it is only $88!
"The biggest trend in dresses right now is the high-low, which is shorter in the front, longer in the back, so you kind of have a little bit more movement, you show off your legs a little more," said Robin Tolkan-Doyle, publicist of Unique Vintage.
Other popular gowns feature glamorous embellishments, such as peacock feathers, shiny sequins, mirrored appliques or ultra-feminine lace. One floor-length Grecian goddess gown with opulent beading is flying off the rack.
"I'm liking all the really open-back dresses and all the rhinestones on all of them," said West Ranch High School student Ariel Horowitz.
Also in demand is a '50s style "Mad Men" dress from Stop Staring. It's sure to bring out your inner pin-up girl! Unique Vintage specializes in that classic, vintage inspired look.
"Put the flower in your hair and the crinoline under your skirt. You could [have] the red lips, the gloves, the whole bit," said Tolkan-Doyle.
If you can't make it to Unique Vintage, there are thousands of dresses available on its website.
Walking into Luna's Bridal in the city of Bell is like walking into a fairytale dress shop. The extravagant, handmade dresses are extremely popular at weddings, quinceaneras, and of course, prom. You control the style -- and the price. There are pre-designed gowns available as well, and trying the dresses on is half the fun of prom night.
"All of us girls want to have our night, want to stand out and want to have the perfect dress, so Luna's bridal is the perfect place for that," said Yareth Gomez, a Montebello High School student.
Owner and designer Lucy Luna will create your dream prom dress. One mermaid-inspired, gold sequined lace-up gown will definitely make Gomez shine on her big night.
"I adore it. It's sure to be my prom dress this year. I love it," said Gomez.
prom, fashion, shopping, save money / consumer news, alysha del valle
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 46 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years 16 min ago
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video