Save Money / Consumer News
Finding online hotel deals quickly and easily
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Finding a nice hotel room at a great rate can take some work. According to Consumer Reports, the average rate for a hotel room is expected to top $100 this year.
But Consumer Reports' Tod Marks says these days a good place to start is with the hotel's website.
"Hotels have taken back the night by imposing best-rate guarantees. That is, find an advertised price lower anywhere else and we'll match it plus give you a bonus," said Marks.
So book at the hotel site, then keep looking online for a cheaper rate. It also pays to look for special deals on hotel sites like up to 20 percent off and complimentary parking.
"Now if you really want to save and get the rock-bottom drop dead low rate, do what I do. Use Hotwire, Priceline's Name Your Own Price program, or use Travelocity's Top Secret Hotels. They don't reveal the name of the hotel until after you've committed to purchasing that room for a given night," said Marks.
However, it can lead to big bargains. On Hotwire, Marks booked a room at what turned out to be The James, a high-end hotel in Chicago. The rate was $133 a night. The best rate the hotel or any other site offered was $234.
While budget hotels are the cheapest place to stay, Consumer Reports says some are no bargain. Its survey of almost 23,000 subscribers found America's Best Value Inn is among the worst. A much better bet, top-rated Microtel Inn and Suites, where rooms can go for as little as $59.
"They offer decent upkeep, they're clean, and check-in, most of the time, it's a snap," said Marks.
Consumer Reports says if you can't plan ahead and need to book a hotel for the same night, there are still ways to save. A free app for smartphones called Hotel Tonight shows deals on hotels in some 30 cities.
travel, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- Suspect killed in Alhambra PD station ID'ed
- Simi Valley attack may be gang-related, police say
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- NorCal beach parking fee fight gets heated
- Obama addresses Morehouse College graduates
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list