Save Money / Consumer News
Best ice cream, frozen treat brands for summer - Consumer Reports
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Warm weather is here, which means there's no better time to stock your freezer full of grab-and-go treats.
"While most kids are happy with just about any ice cream, at Consumer Reports we found a couple of them that topped our ratings that just might make the discriminating big kids happy, too," said Erin Gudeux with Consumer Reports.
Taste testers evaluated 21 different frozen treats, including bars and sandwiches from Dove, Good Humor, Häagen-Dazs and Klondike.
Nostalgia-favorite Good Humor bars were the lowest-rated dark chocolate ice cream bars tested. Sensory tasters described the coating as thin, waxy, and crumbly, with ice cream that tasted of artificial-vanilla and a hint of the wooden stick.
Several other dark chocolate bars got sweeter reviews, including Häagen-Dazs and Dove. Both rated excellent. Although kids might not notice the nuances, the bars had rich and complex vanilla ice cream and dark chocolate. But they do come at a price.
"They're expensive," said Gudeux. "They cost about a $1.25 a bar. And just like all the ice cream bars, nutritionally, they have a lot of fat and calories, so you might want to save them as a splurge."
For only 50 cents apiece, consider the ice cream sandwiches from Walgreens. The drugstore's Old Fashioned Ice Cream Sandwich was the only sandwich tested that wasn't gummy.
Consumer Reports says if you're looking to satisfy a craving for an icy, cold treat with fewer calories and no fat, consider frozen fruit bars. Testers sized up strawberry bars and rated Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value strawberry bars as excellent. Dreyer's strawberry fruit bars also rated excellent.
consumer reports, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown 6 min ago
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- Bipartisan budget deal nears final passage
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present