Save Money / Consumer News
Class-action lawsuit filed against Blue Shield
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- A class-action lawsuit has been filed against Blue Shield over the shutdown of health insurance plans. Customers who are dropped can sign up for a different Blue Shield plan, but it's not as good.
A rude surprise is what eye patient Deborah Goodwin says she got when she learned that her insurer Blue Shield was closing down her health plan and that she had to get an inferior replacement policy with less coverage but a higher deductible.
Goodwin is one of 300,000 Californians, Baby Boomers and older, who are joined in a class action lawsuit filed by Consumer Watchdog. Advocates constructed a flow chart that they say illustrates how Blue Shield skirts the law on insurance caps.
Blue Shield responded in a statement: "The allegations are false. We comply with all aspects of the block closure law and have since it was enacted."
"Blocks" are insurance plans. Consumer Watchdog says Blue Shield started a practice two years ago of closing "blocks" that cover aging patients. Coming on July 2, another round of closeouts: 23 plans will be eliminated.
Blue Shield does offer alternative plans for seniors in this situation, says Consumer Watchdog. Turns out though the policies are either more costly or they significantly reduce benefits.
As for switching carriers, that's more expensive or even impossible for patients with a pre-existing health condition.
Advocates want the court to block Blue Shield from closing policies on July 2. They also hope complaints stir state regulators to take a closer look at Blue Shield's practices.
health insurance, health care, legal, save money / consumer news, miriam hernandez
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 1 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting 47 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 21 min ago
- Jefferson Park area stabbing suspect sought
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow 34 min ago
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes 28 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'