Save Money / Consumer News
Mac users may see pricier hotel rates on Orbitz
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- A popular travel website is apparently steering customers to pricier vacations based on whether they're using a Mac or PC.
Orbitz has been tracking how much money its site visitors spend when they book a room. The company says that people who use an Apple computer on average tend to spend $20 to $30 more per night than PC owners.
The Wall Street Journal reports that Orbitz only shows Mac users higher-end hotels because data shows those users are 40 percent more likely to book a four or five-star hotel. Also, when Mac users book at the same hotel as a PC user, they tend to stay in a more expensive room.
Tracking a shopper's online activity is becoming more common. Many online retailers are looking at how a person's spending and browsing may boost the site's sales.
"If you're the kind of person who likes to pay for premium things, certainly as a travel company I want to offer you those things first," said Rick Seaney of FareCompare.com.
The average Mac desktop costs nearly three times as much as a PC desktop. Mac owners also tend to make more money than PC owners. A Mac user's average household income is $98,000 a year, compared to $74,000 for PC owners.
A suggestion for Mac users who don't necessarily want to pay for a pricier hotel room: Use Orbitz's sort by price option.
travel, save money / consumer news, melissa macbride
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 50 min ago
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 5 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 20 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft 23 min ago
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video