Save Money / Consumer News
Mac users may see pricier hotel rates on Orbitz
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- A popular travel website is apparently steering customers to pricier vacations based on whether they're using a Mac or PC.
Orbitz has been tracking how much money its site visitors spend when they book a room. The company says that people who use an Apple computer on average tend to spend $20 to $30 more per night than PC owners.
The Wall Street Journal reports that Orbitz only shows Mac users higher-end hotels because data shows those users are 40 percent more likely to book a four or five-star hotel. Also, when Mac users book at the same hotel as a PC user, they tend to stay in a more expensive room.
Tracking a shopper's online activity is becoming more common. Many online retailers are looking at how a person's spending and browsing may boost the site's sales.
"If you're the kind of person who likes to pay for premium things, certainly as a travel company I want to offer you those things first," said Rick Seaney of FareCompare.com.
The average Mac desktop costs nearly three times as much as a PC desktop. Mac owners also tend to make more money than PC owners. A Mac user's average household income is $98,000 a year, compared to $74,000 for PC owners.
A suggestion for Mac users who don't necessarily want to pay for a pricier hotel room: Use Orbitz's sort by price option.
travel, save money / consumer news, melissa macbride
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest
- Fugitive child-abuse couple seen in Maywood
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs
- Michael Jackson chef describes confrontation
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
52 min ago
- Beverly Hills 9OH2O luxury water put to test
14 min ago