Save Money / Consumer News
Mac users may see pricier hotel rates on Orbitz
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- A popular travel website is apparently steering customers to pricier vacations based on whether they're using a Mac or PC.
Orbitz has been tracking how much money its site visitors spend when they book a room. The company says that people who use an Apple computer on average tend to spend $20 to $30 more per night than PC owners.
The Wall Street Journal reports that Orbitz only shows Mac users higher-end hotels because data shows those users are 40 percent more likely to book a four or five-star hotel. Also, when Mac users book at the same hotel as a PC user, they tend to stay in a more expensive room.
Tracking a shopper's online activity is becoming more common. Many online retailers are looking at how a person's spending and browsing may boost the site's sales.
"If you're the kind of person who likes to pay for premium things, certainly as a travel company I want to offer you those things first," said Rick Seaney of FareCompare.com.
The average Mac desktop costs nearly three times as much as a PC desktop. Mac owners also tend to make more money than PC owners. A Mac user's average household income is $98,000 a year, compared to $74,000 for PC owners.
A suggestion for Mac users who don't necessarily want to pay for a pricier hotel room: Use Orbitz's sort by price option.
travel, save money / consumer news, melissa macbride
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)