Save Money / Consumer News
Google tablet computer unveiled at conference
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- Google Inc. introduced its Nexus 7, a small tablet computer, on Wednesday during a conference in San Francisco.
The 7-inch Nexus 7 tablet will run the next version of Google's Android operating system, called Jelly Bean. The device can be ordered starting next Wednesday and it will ship in mid-July.
A Nexus 7 with 8 GB costs $199, while a 16 GB goes for $249. Although the tablet carries the Google brand, it will be made by AsusTek Computer Inc.
The Nexus 7 will also be light at about 0.75 pound. The Kindle Fire weighs 0.9 pound, while the iPad weighs 1.44 pounds. The Nexus 7 is also designed for Google Play, which is online store that sells movies, music and apps.
Google also unveiled the Nexus Q, which is a home entertainment system that they're calling the first social streaming media player. It takes content from your personal collection on a phone or YouTube and streams it to a TV and speaker system. Nexus Q costs $299. The service can be ordered now and will be also be available mid-July.
A Google expansion into the tablet market would bring another imposing entrant into what is already a battle of tech heavyweights. Last week, Microsoft Corp. announced its own tablet, Surface. The Google tablet is expected to be seen as more of a threat to Amazon.com Inc.'s Kindle Fire than Apple Inc.'s iPad.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
technology, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 7 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 33 min ago
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car 52 min ago
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC 14 min ago
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis