Save Money / Consumer News
Check online for deals when dining out, Consumer Reports says
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- You probably love to eat out but hate to see your bill. Well, there's some good news. Consumer Reports says there are plenty of deals right at your fingertips.
"One of the first things you can do is to visit a restaurant's website to find out about any special offers," said Tod Marks of Consumer Reports.
Take Chili's, for example. It has a $20 steak dinner special for two. And Bob Evans has an "Endless Farmhouse Lunch" for $6.99.
"You can also sign up for email alerts and join an e-club to learn about even more deals," said Marks.
By joining California Pizza Kitchen's eclub, you get $5 toward your next visit. And on Facebook, liking Outback Steakhouse and other restaurants can also lead to dining deals.
Consumer Reports found you do need to choose where you eat carefully. Its survey of almost 48,000 subscribers gave some popular chains low marks for value - among them were Hard Rock Cafe, Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar, Joe's Crab Shack and Hooters.
"Another surefire way to save is to eat out when others don't. There's a lot more out there than just an early-bird special," Marks said.
At Applebee's, late-night diners enjoy half-price appetizers. And at Red Lobster, you get a discount on some shrimp entrées on Mondays and Tuesdays.
"Here's another sweet way to save: If it's your birthday, eat at a restaurant that offers free dessert," said Marks.
food, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 24 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 51 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 13 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 17 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 19 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
53 min ago