Save Money / Consumer News
Internet providers brace for DNS virus issues
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Anyone having trouble logging onto the Internet Monday may be the victim of malicious software called the DNS changer virus, which may have been secretly installed on computers throughout the U.S. more than a year ago.
This is all the result of international hackers who targeted unsuspecting users worldwide with an advertising scam.
Last November, the FBI busted the ring and set up a safety net so that people with infected computers wouldn't lose Internet service right away.
However, the court order the government obtained to keep the servers running expired and was not renewed. As a result, thousands of PC and Mac users could be without Internet service Monday.
Experts have advice for anyone affected by the virus."You should call your Internet service provider. They'll be able to give you the correct DNS address and talk you through how to enter it on to your computer. So you can make that change and you'll be back up and running good as new," said Kevin Healy, director of Norton Security Response.
Internet providers are bracing for the onslaught of calls on their help lines. But before Internet users panic, it is recommended that customers check to make sure the computer's cords and cables are plugged in, or that it may not be another problem that is preventing a connection.
It's also suggested that computer users check for the malware even if the Internet is working, because it could still pose problems down the road
technology, save money / consumer news, christina salvo
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Protests against Monsanto held around world 28 min ago
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Man killed when Amtrak train collides with car
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
8 min ago