Save Money / Consumer News
White wines tested to find best for summer party
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Looking for a perfect wine for a summer party? When the weather gets warmer, people tend to prefer a white wine. Consumer Reports tested dozens of white wines to find the best choices for summer sipping.
Wine experts with Consumer Reports tested sampled pinot grigios and 16 rieslings.
"Pinot grigio is a fairly simple varietal. It's generally dry, and it's leaner and lighter than many other white wines," said Paul Reynolds of Consumer Reports.
Pinot grigio is good with light pasta dishes or grilled fish. Rieslings can vary a lot.
"Drier rieslings are quite versatile and go well with everything from pork, veal and scallops to milder cheeses," Reynolds said.
And a sweeter riesling can be a good dessert wine. When Consumer Reports' tests were done, there were plenty of very good, inexpensive wines to choose from. For riesling, the 2010 Hogue Late Harvest topped the ratings. It costs $10 a bottle. For a pinot grigio, try the 2010 Black Swan Vineyards. It rated "very good," and it costs a $8 a bottle.
Another pinot grigio that Consumer Reports rated "very good" is even less expensive. It's the Pinot Grigio Wine Cube 2010 from Target. It comes in a box and costs $18, but it's the equivalent of four regular bottles. But be aware, if you're shopping for it, it's not available at every Target, so check before you go.
consumer reports, food, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 23 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 39 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 19 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters 34 min ago
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2