Save Money / Consumer News
iPhone 5 draws fans to Apple stores across US
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- The highly anticipated iPhone 5 hit stores on Friday, and fans eagerly snapped up the slick new phone.
People started lining up Thursday night to be the first ones to buy the latest iPhone model. It was the same in stores from Sydney to Tokyo overnight.
The ritual also took place in California with Apple enthusiasts lining up outside the Apple store in Pasadena. Some people even tried selling their spot in line, hoping to make a quick buck off the new phone. One man said he hoped to sell his spot in line for $100-$150.
When the doors opened, the Apple faithful marched in to cheering employees handing out high-fives.
One man flew all the way from Amsterdam to snag his new phone in Pasadena.
"I always do that. I did that for the 4S and I did that for the new iPad. I come for friends who live here and for the weather. So whenever Apple comes out with a new product, I just figure, time for a vacation and get the new Apple product," said Martin Gijzemijter.
The iPhone 5 is thinner and has a taller screen and a faster processor. The company says it expects to sell more than 10 million iPhone 5 models by Monday. Industry experts project that Apple may sell more than 50 million iPhone 5s in the first quarter.
The phone costs $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 64GB with contract.
Should you buy the iPhone 5?
That depends on what you have now. If you have an iPhone 4 or earlier models and your contract is up, why not? But if you have the iPhone 4s, you might be better off waiting for the iPhone 6, which rumors say may be on its way as early as June 2013.
iPhone 5 features:
iPhone 5 features:
- Battery has eight hours of talk time and eight hours of Web browsing.
- Phone is made entirely of glass and aluminum. The company calls it its thinnest and lightest model yet at 7.6 millimeters (.3 inch) thick and weighing 122 grams (4.3 ounces). It's 18-percent thinner than the iPhone 4S and 20 percent lighter. The phone also features a bigger screen, measuring 4 inches diagonally.
- Camera has an 8-megapixel camera (iSight) with special features to eliminate noise in images and perform better in low light. Camera also has backside illumination, hybrid IR filter, 5-element lens, f/2.4 aperture, faster photo capture, panorama feature.
- New dock and connector called Lightning - this means new phone will not be compatible with old accessories. Apple says accessory makers are already working to update their products.
- Phone will utilize new iOS 6 software, which features a new mapping app, as Apple ditches the Google Map app. The new software will have turn-by-turn voice navigation by none other than Siri.
- It will use LTE, and Sprint, Verizon and AT&T will support it in the U.S.
- Faster Wi-Fi and faster processing chip.
iPhone, apple, save money / consumer news
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 40 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed 56 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)