Save Money / Consumer News
Apple sells 5 million iPhone 5s in three days, number lower than expected
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Apple has sold 5 million units in sales of the iPhone 5 since the exalted smartphone and its new features were unveiled to the world three days ago. Although the sales tally beats last year's iPhone 4s launch, the sale units are less than what some analysts had expected.
The company saw its shares slip on Monday. Apple shares were off 0.9 percent to $693.49 by morning trades. The stock had reached an all-time high of $705.10 on Friday, Sept. 21 when the iPhone 5 went on sale in the US, Germany, France, Japan, and five other countries.
According to Topeka Capital Markets analyst Bryan White, the initial launch number is lower than expected for the iPhone 5's opening weekend. White, who projected Apple to sell between 6 million to 6.5 million units, maintains the reason for the sales shortfall was the supply constraint. The iPhone 5 was sold out at 80 to 85 percent of the U.S. Apple stores he contacted Sunday evening.
Online deliveries have also stretched out to October which could also account for the new device's low weekend sales.
The latest iPhone, which features a 4-inch screen and runs on the brand new iOS 6 operating system, will go on sale in 22 more countries on Friday and in more than 100 countries by the end of the year.
iPhone, apple, save money / consumer news
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- Benjamin Netanyahu discusses Iran at LA event
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments 7 min ago
- San Clemente HS lockdown lifted after threat
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Parents, daughter accused in $7M shoplifting spree
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Bitcoin exchange CEO's death ruled 'unnatural'
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
24 min ago