Save Money / Consumer News
Is there a future for natural gas vehicles in SoCal?
DOWNEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Is there a future for natural gas vehicles in Southern California? While it might be slow in coming, it will bring lots of benefits.
The Southern California Gas Company held a seminar Tuesday on the future of natural gas transportation in Downey.
"Natural gas is really a transportation fuel that's available to us today. It's cleaner, the fuel is abundant, it's cheaper, and it's American," said Hal Snyder, Southern California Gas Company vice president.
Compressed natural gas (CNG) has been around for a long time, and slowly but surely it's becoming a viable alternative fuel source.
Honda is building the only dedicated assembly line natural-gas vehicle.
There are only 1,100 fueling stations in the country, compared to almost 200,000 gas stations.
"It's almost the chicken and the egg: More vehicles, more infrastructure. More infrastructure, more convenience for the market," said Snyder.
Some CNG companies are advancing the technology of fast fueling stations.
Natural gas vehicles are joining company fleets, like taxicabs and buses. The SoCal Gas Co. is converting thousands of its vehicles to natural gas over the next several years. Plus there is a variety of vehicles on the market that can run on natural gas.
"Right now, the price of natural gas on a gallon equivalent is about $1.96," said Snyder.
Plus, you have carpool-lane access in a CNG vehicle.
technology, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money 36 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station 12 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed 38 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes 57 min ago
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...