Save Money / Consumer News
Apple's iPad Mini debuts to subdued fanfare
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- Apple's iPad Mini went on sale on Friday, but tech experts say the fanfare was visibly subdued compared to other products.
The gadget is sold out online, so the only way to get it is at an Apple store. According to multiple reports, lines were shorter than the iPhone launch in Australia and New Zealand. At the Pasadena Apple store, the early morning crowd was also smaller than previous Apple unveilings, like for the iPhone 5. Still, true Apple fans just wanted to get the new gadget in their hands, even sleeping in line overnight.
Student Jesper Windimar said this isn't the first time he's waited in line for an Apple product. He said he is looking forward to the portability of the smaller iPad.
The iPad Mini starts at $329 for the 16GB model; $429 for the 32GB model; and $529 for the 64GB. It has a smaller 7.9-inch display compared to the regular iPad's 9.7-inch screen. The smaller iPad runs the same iOS 6 software and has the full capabilities of the regular iPad. The WiFi version goes on sale Friday; the 3G/4G versions don't go on sale for a few weeks.
Analysts estimate Apple will sell up to 1 1/2 million of the smaller iPads this weekend. This estimate is substantially lower than the three million iPads sold in March in the first weekend.
Meantime, a new version of the regular iPad with Retina Display, which was first released in March, goes on sale Friday as well. The $499 tablet has a faster processor and now has the new Lightning dock connector.
ABC News contributed to this report.
apple, iPad, save money / consumer news, q mccray
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved 26 min ago
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- Vehicle slams into tree, erupts in flames
- Hostilities erupt in Michael Jackson trial 39 min ago
- OC man convicted of estranged wife's shooting
- Van Nuys road rage: 2 well-dressed men fight
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite 21 min ago
- San Jose sues MLB for stalling A's move
- abcnews: $65K reward in '08 Times Square bombing 30 min ago
- Afghanistan gov. takes over its armed forces
- Expansions for women in combat to be announced
- Dave Chappelle to headline Funny or Die tour
- Justin Bieber cleared in crash investigation
- OTRC: Katy Perry: Russell Brand texted divorce plan