Save Money / Consumer News
Best tablets of the holiday season tested by Consumer Reports
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The world of tablets keeps growing. New entries include the Nook HD and HD Plus, the iPad mini and the Surface, Microsoft's first tablet. Consumer Reports tested these tablets to find the best.
While the top ones all have something to offer, there are big differences. For example, the $500 Surface has a superb 10-inch screen plus a handy stand, and you can get a cover with a built-in keyboard. However, when it comes to content, Microsoft has a way to go.
"Windows tablets lack access to the big content selections from Apple or the Android Marketplace, or even the Amazon and Barnes and Noble content offerings," said Paul Reynolds with Consumer Reports.
Size is another important consideration. The 7.8-inch iPad mini is Apple's first smaller tablet, competing with other small tablets like the Barnes and Noble Nook HD and Kindle Fire HD from Amazon.
Consumer Reports finds in many ways the Mini is every bit as good as the bigger iPads. The screen offers crisp text, optimal photo viewing and good sound.
The $330 iPad mini is also light, making it extra portable. But for $200, the Barnes and Noble Nook HD is well worth considering. Sharp text that fills the 7-inch screen makes reading a pleasure. However, the larger 9-inch Nook HD Plus is a better choice if you're a magazine lover. It starts at $270.
"The iPad still offers the most content, and its screen's a little bigger than the Nook HD Plus. But at $500 and up, it costs almost twice as much."
Consumer Reports says no matter what your priorities are, there's never been a better selection of tablets to choose from.
If you're thinking about buying an extended warranty for a tablet, Consumer Reports says it may not be worth the money. In a recent survey, only four percent of tablet owners needed repairs. But if you still want to get one, Consumer Reports says consider less expensive coverage, such as the $28, two-year accidental plan sold at Walmart.
iPad, technology, apple, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Hollywood burglary suspects caught on camera
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
59 min ago
- Blind man, dog safe after subway track fall
7 min ago