Save Money / Consumer News
Christmas Eve shoppers looking for real last-minute deals
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- It came down to the wire for some Southern Californians to finish their Christmas lists. Some went out shopping Monday because they procrastinated, while others looked for last-minute discounts.
It was chilly and busy day, but that didn't deter some determined shoppers at Burbank Town Center and Ontario Mills Mall. Many braved the mall this Christmas Eve to look for bargains and find that perfect gift.
Many retailers reported a last-minute surge in business. It appeared many shoppers waited until the last minute, hoping to snag some better deals.
According to the National Retail Federation, 10 percent of Americans waited until Christmas Eve to finish crossing off their shopping list.
There was good news for procrastinators out there: many stores opened early and extended their hours. With the extra hours came extra savings with stores offering deep discounts. One shopper, said she waited late to shop because she liked the adrenaline rush.
Randall Kirby said he put off shopping.
"I'm just a late shopper, I'll be honest about it," Kirby said. "But the store keepers are nice, the crowds are friendly, and even people are being fairly polite in the parking aspect of it."
Fellow last-minute-shopper Cosie Andujar didn't mind the crowds.
"It's kind of like this tradition," said Andujar. "I don't really understand why my parents do this every year but it's just what we do."
Shopping on Christmas Eve also seemed to be sort of a tradition for Ebony Stewart of Compton.
"I don't know, that's when I have time I guess," said Stewart. "I don't know why. I'm last minute. I'm a procrastinator."
Eddie Martinez said he and his wife never shop early. Come Dec. 24, they go on a mission.
"She makes out a list and we wait till the last-minute, sometimes you get better deals."
christmas, shopping, save money / consumer news
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- Fewer travelers expected Memorial Day weekend
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; 3 injured
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter'
- 405 North crash, fuel spill snarls traffic
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home
- LB regulates loud mufflers w/ electronic sign
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- OTRC: 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6' film reviews