Save Money / Consumer News
Start of the year is the best time to buy home appliances, electronics
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The presidential inauguration comes just a few weeks before the celebration of President's Day, a national holiday. And holidays mean sales and bargains, often on big ticket items.
Traditionally, this time of year is one of the best times to buy a new mattress. And don't just settle on the sales price, but feel free to haggle a bit on the cost or have the salesperson throw in some extras like bedding and pillows.
Also around this time of year is the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, which highlights all of the newest electronic gadgets consumers will see in the next few months. That means you can expect to see bargains on big screen TVs as retailers clear out their old inventory for the new, not to mention to entice you to buy a new TV in time for the Super Bowl.
Just like electronics, furniture stores want to move older merchandise and bring in the new fabrics and colors for the season, so look for discounts on sofas and chairs.
Large appliances such washing machines, dryers and dishwashers are big ticket items you will find at bargain prices as homeowners begin to think about spring cleaning.
Although the absolute best time to buy a car is at the end of the year, the second best time is in late summer when dealers prepare for the new models that will be on showroom floors in the fall. That's when you can expect more price incentives from the manufacturers to get you to buy.
And the last big ticket item to consider right now is a mortgage. Whether you're a buyer or need to refinance, interest rates are at record lows, and no one knows how long such great rates will last. You might be able to save hundreds of dollars a month.
consumer reports, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report