Save Money / Consumer News
Consumer Reports names 2013 Top Pick vehicles
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Being named a Consumer Reports Top Pick vehicle doesn't come easy. Their engineers clock hundreds of thousands of miles just so they can narrow down the field of cars that really stand out.
How well does a car handle an emergency situation? How well does it accelerate and brake? These are just some of the dozens of tests in which vehicles have to excel - but that's not all. A car has to be reliable. Owners help in this regard, telling Consumer Reports about their experiences with 1.2 million vehicles.
"The European vehicles traditionally don't have very good reliability and that actually held them off the Top Pick list," said Jake Fisher of Consumer Reports.
This year, however, two made the list, including the Audi A6 as the Top Pick Luxury Car.
"It's a very comfortable car," Fisher said. "It's got an amazing interior, nice ride and agile handling."
The BMW 328i is the Top Pick Sports Sedan.
"It's always been a really sporty, fun-to-drive car," Fisher said, "but now with a new two-liter, turbo-charged engine, it's actually very efficient, too."
Honda made a comeback, as well. The newly redesigned Accord is the Top Pick Midsized Sedan, the CR-V is tops in the Small SUV class, while the Odyssey regained the Top Pick Minivan distinction.
For those who prefer sports cars, the Subaru BRZ and the Scion FR-S lead the pack. These nearly identical vehicles, co-developed by Toyota and Subaru, are exhilarating to drive, with sticker prices that are tough to beat.
If you're looking for a car under $20,000, Consumer Reports' Top Pick is the Hyundai Elantra. The all-wheel drive Subaru Impreza's is their pick for compacts. Despite increasing competition, the Toyota Prius remains their top choice for Green Car.
consumer reports, auto news, save money / consumer news, marc brown
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate