Save Money / Consumer News
Hair extensions may cause complications
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Hair extensions make you look like you have long and very full hair. But the beauty trend isn't quite so pretty when extensions cause complications.
Lady Gaga has received a lot of media attention for the outrageous hairstyles she creates with her hair extensions. Other celebrities from Jessica Simpson to Raquel Welch have hawked lines of hair extensions. And many women longing for a full head of hair are following their lead.
But this beauty trend has a dark side. Jennifer Aniston reportedly said she cut her hair because it "was getting thinned out again from all the extensions."
Latesha Parks, influenced by both celebrity fashion and her friends, got hair extensions.
"I've been wearing them about nine years," Parks said.
But now her hair has broken off, and she has a spot where her hair won't grow anymore. Randee Bank also had problems after using hair extensions.
"I still have bald spots. The hair has not grown back," Bank said.
Consumer Reports' Dr. Orly Avitzur became concerned when one of her patients with hair extensions complained of excruciating headaches.
"There are people who use hair extensions without complaint. But extensions add excess weight, pulling on the hair, which can lead to damage of the hair follicles," Avitzur said.
Hair salons use a wide variety of ways to attach the extensions to natural hair, including glue, tape and clips.
"If you wear extensions and start to see signs of hair loss, stop right away before the problem becomes permanent," Avitzur said.
Salon owner Dawn DiDomenico knows the dangers. She refuses to use hair extensions.
"It looks like really beautiful hair, but what it does underneath is quite scary," DiDomenico said.
fashion, consumer reports, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 4 min ago
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations 48 min ago
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted 9 min ago
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break