Save Money / Consumer News
Tax returns delayed by software filing glitch
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- A software glitch caused incorrect tax filings for 660,000 taxpayers who will have their refunds delayed by up to six weeks, the Internal Revenue Service said Thursday. The affected taxpayers filed returns between February 14-22.
The IRS did not name the software companies that had the problem, but H&R Block said some if its customers were affected. Block said the company had resolved the problem.
Turbo Tax customers were not affected, company spokeswoman Julie Miller said.
The software omitted certain answers on Form 8863, the claim for the American Opportunity credit that provides up to $2,500 to help pay college expenses; and the Lifetime Learning credit that provides up to $2,000.
H&R Block said the forms were filled out correctly but the answers were dropped when the forms were transmitted to the IRS.
"It's important to note that the tax returns were prepared accurately. The error occurred in e-file processing," H&R Block said in a statement. "We are communicating directly with our impacted clients to assure them that we are doing everything we can to expedite their returns."
The IRS has long had a goal of increasing the number of people who file their tax returns electronically. The agency promises faster refunds for people who file electronically and have their refunds deposited directly into bank accounts. Most taxpayers who file this way can get refunds within 21 days, the agency says.
In 2012, nearly 120 million taxpayers electronically filed their federal tax returns with the IRS. That's about 81 percent of all individual returns.
The IRS expects to process about 150 million tax returns from individuals, so less than 1 percent will be affected. About 6.6 million taxpayers are expected to claim the education tax credits.
Taxpayers can check the status of their refund on the agency's "Where's my refund?" website.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
taxes, technology, save money / consumer news
- NKorea says it deported detained US war vet 48 min ago
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material 54 min ago
- Robo-seal pups help patients fight dementia 31 min ago
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides 10 min ago
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl
- OTRC: 'Scandal' season 3 will have 18 episodes
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
27 min ago