Save Money / Consumer News
Device cleans lint from dryers to prevent fire
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Thousands of house fires are started each year by clothes dryers clogged with lint. The Lint Lizard, an infomercial product, was tested to see if it can help reduce a fire risk.
Fire can start in the dryer vent and spread to destroyed an entire house. Fire officials say lint can build up in the dryer's ducts and catch fire. To prevent this from happening in your home, it's essential to clean the lint from your dryer's ducts and lint trap.
The Lint Lizard attaches to your vacuum cleaner. You thread the tube through the opening of a dryer's lint trap.
"The Lint Lizard worked really well," said Consumer Reports tester Bernie Deitrick. "It removed more lint than any other technique that we tried."
But one drawback: the Lint Lizard may not fit easily into very narrow dryer openings. And its sharp tip could damage flexible foil or plastic ductwork. However, Consumer Reports doesn't recommend those kinds of ducts anyway.
"It can sag, collect lint and cause problems with venting your dryer," said Deitrick.
Consumer Reports says metal ducts are far better, either flexible or solid. You want to clean those at least once a year. And clean your lint trap every time you use the dryer. Taking these precautions can help prevent a tragedy.
consumer reports, fire, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 36 min ago
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured 9 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed 15 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination 17 min ago
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks