Save Money / Consumer News
GoPro, Sony Action Cam tough, WiFi-friendly, Consumer Reports finds
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Bradley Rothschild uses a GoPro camera to catch the action wherever he goes.
"I use it for mountain biking, I use it for jet-skiing, days on the lake with friends, it's a good time," he said.
Video cameras like the GoPro are growing in popularity as people want to capture action shots like skiing without risking expensive equipment.
Consumer Reports tested two top action camcorders, the GoPro HERO3, which costs $400, and Sony's $270 Action Cam. The cameras come with rugged, waterproof casings to protect them from the elements, and they're loaded with features.
"You can take standard-def or high-def video. You can also take still photos. And you can also, on both of them, take photos and stitch them together into a time lapse," said Terry Sullivan.
But how do they stand up to tough treatment? Consumer Reports tested that by putting each one in a tumbler for 25 rotations to see if they could withstand hard knocks. Both came out ready to shoot.
To see how waterproof the cameras are, they were dunked in water. Both survived intact, with no damage at all.
"If you're looking to capture action shots in the great outdoors, either of these camcorders is a good choice. The GoPro has a little bit of an edge in the image quality, but either one will get the job done," said Sullivan.
Consumer Reports says another nice thing about the GoPro HERO3 and the Sony Action Cam is that they have built-in Wi-Fi, making it easy to share your videos on YouTube and Facebook.
So the next time you hit the slopes for some skiing or head to the beach for some fun in the sun, one of these action cameras could be just the thing to capture memories that used to be a fleeting moment.
consumer reports, technology, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 52 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station 53 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 51 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Parents distracted by devices, study says 10 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...