Save Money / Consumer News
GoPro, Sony Action Cam tough, WiFi-friendly, Consumer Reports finds
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Bradley Rothschild uses a GoPro camera to catch the action wherever he goes.
"I use it for mountain biking, I use it for jet-skiing, days on the lake with friends, it's a good time," he said.
Video cameras like the GoPro are growing in popularity as people want to capture action shots like skiing without risking expensive equipment.
Consumer Reports tested two top action camcorders, the GoPro HERO3, which costs $400, and Sony's $270 Action Cam. The cameras come with rugged, waterproof casings to protect them from the elements, and they're loaded with features.
"You can take standard-def or high-def video. You can also take still photos. And you can also, on both of them, take photos and stitch them together into a time lapse," said Terry Sullivan.
But how do they stand up to tough treatment? Consumer Reports tested that by putting each one in a tumbler for 25 rotations to see if they could withstand hard knocks. Both came out ready to shoot.
To see how waterproof the cameras are, they were dunked in water. Both survived intact, with no damage at all.
"If you're looking to capture action shots in the great outdoors, either of these camcorders is a good choice. The GoPro has a little bit of an edge in the image quality, but either one will get the job done," said Sullivan.
Consumer Reports says another nice thing about the GoPro HERO3 and the Sony Action Cam is that they have built-in Wi-Fi, making it easy to share your videos on YouTube and Facebook.
So the next time you hit the slopes for some skiing or head to the beach for some fun in the sun, one of these action cameras could be just the thing to capture memories that used to be a fleeting moment.
consumer reports, technology, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 31 min ago
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery 3 min ago
- Griffith Park mountain lion exposed to poison
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)