Save Money / Consumer News
Website lets students buy/sell textbooks to each other on campus
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Kimberly Ostiller got a rude awakening about the high cost of textbooks when she started school at the University of Southern California.
"I think this year alone it's probably been around $400," the freshman said.
Matthew Lacey, also a USC freshman, said he, too, had to adjust his budget to accommodate expensive textbooks.
"Books are definitely a big deal around here. They're all so very expensive," Lacey said.
Both Ostiller and Lacey found out about a new website, myBookCrate.com, which allowed them to buy and sell books with their fellow students.
"It's been great because it cuts out the middle man and it just allows me to work with other students who are just trying to get textbooks for cheap," Lacey said.
It's been available to the campus since December 2012 and works in partnership with the university's student government.
"You can buy and sell books to USC students, so you don't have to pay for shipping and handling, whereas you do for other online sources, and then you just meet students conveniently on campus," Ostiller said.
The website was started by a student, Erik Bogaard.
"It's all automated, so students list the books they want to buy and sell, and we instantly connect them to meet on campus and make the transaction," Bogaard said. "We have a private messaging center, which allows students to send and receive electronic messages in order to arrange a time and location to meet."
Bogaard said students can also send and receive electronic payments using their smartphones once they have actually physically received the book.
budget, technology, school, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 25 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
12 min ago