Save Money / Consumer News
Ice cream scoops tested to find the best
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Ice cream can be downright hard to scoop. Consumer Reports ShopSmart tried out four ice cream scoops to see if they can help make scooping easier.
There was the OXO Good Grips Scoop with a lever, the Anti-Freeze Scoop from Crate and Barrel, the Zeroll Original TubMate Spade and an electric ice cream scoop from Deni.
Tester Linda Greene tasked panelists with the job of scooping out really dense ice cream. Panelists appreciated the lever on OXO's scoop, but that was about it.
Crate and Barrel's scoop looks like a traditional scoop, but the handle is filled with liquid, which apparently your hand is supposed to warm and hopefully make the ice cream easier to scoop.
"It required a lot of force but it made great scoops when it actually got the ice cream out," said tester Sara Brown.
The Paddle scoop from Zerroll got the job done, but it's a bit large for pint-sized containers. Turns out, the electric ice cream scoop was the easiest to use, but it was also the priciest at $33. It's kind of big, and some panelists found the electric cord cumbersome.
"It melted the ice cream around the edges, so if you like soupy ice cream, it's a good thing, if you don't, it's not such a good thing," said tester Linda Greene.
While there were no clear winners, Consumer Reports says don't let that stop you. And no matter which scoop you use, it's the ice cream that really matters.
Consumer Reports' latest tests of chocolate and vanilla ice cream found Haagen Daz and Ben & Jerry's still rule. Also, tests of butter pecan ice cream revealed a bargain buy: Wal-Mart's Great Value Butter Pecan.
consumer reports, food, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report