Save Money / Consumer News
Consumer Reports: Craft brew summer picks for beer lovers
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Everybody knows the big name beers, but there are more than 2,400 breweries in the United States alone, and most are craft brewers, which means they're small and independent. Which of these craft brews topped the taste test?
Captain Lawrence Brewing Company prides itself on every bottle of beer it brews.
"Beer made at a craft brewery our size has soul, it has flavor, and it has an intensity of flavor that many large breweries just can't match," said Scott Vaccaro, owner and head brewer at the Captain Lawrence Brewing Company.
How to find a good craft beer?
Adam Kaplan and experts at Consumer Reports conducted blind taste tests of 23 ales and lagers and found there were some distinct differences.
One taster compared the lowest-rated ale, Magic Hat, to a peach-tea drink. But Consumer Reports rated 13 craft beers "very good" or even "excellent," including several India pale ales.
"India pale ales tend to be more floral and fruity than a lot of other beers, and they have an intense, lingering bitterness," said Kaplan.
Stone IPA is top-rated, with complex flavors, but its bitterness might be too much for some people -- and so could the price, at nearly $11 for a six-pack.
For much less, at $7.36 for a six-pack, Shock Top Wheat IPA is a Consumer Reports Best Buy. It's a little less bitter with a slight sweetness.
Prefer a lager? Samuel Adams Boston Lager came out on top with a range of malt and hops flavors. A six-pack goes for $8.60.
Consumer Reports say all three are good choices when your thirst is brewing this summer.
Thinking of brewing your own beer? More and more people are. Consumer Reports looked at one of the most popular home-brewing kits from Mister Beer. The kit includes a plastic keg and all the fixings -- you just add water and brew your own beer in about three to four weeks. Tasters found the process wasn't bad, but the beer wasn't that good. Maybe stick to the ready-mades.
consumer reports, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 3 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed 26 min ago
- IE suspect found after escaping from police 50 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 51 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video 20 min ago
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants