Save Money / Consumer News
Apple sells 9 million iPhone 5S in three days
CUPERTINO, Calif. (KABC) -- Apple has sold 9 million units in sales of the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C since the exalted smartphones were unveiled to the world Friday.
The new iOS7 software, which was released Sept. 18, has become the company's biggest software launch. It has been downloaded 200 million times and features an improved Siri, new notification sounds, organization tools and an iTunes Radio app.
No numbers regarding the iPhone sales have been released but Apple has confirmed that the launch number makes this their most impressive opening weekend. The sales tally beat last year's iPhone 5 launch by 4 million.
The iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C were sold out at many U.S. Apple stores across the nation. The new device has also been back-ordered online.
However, Apple CEO Tim Cook assures customers more stock is on the way.
"The demand for the new iPhones has been incredible, and while we've sold out of our initial supply of iPhone 5s, stores continue to receive new iPhone shipments regularly," Cook said in a statement. "We appreciate everyone's patience and are working hard to build enough new iPhones for everyone."
The latest iPhone 5S is available in silver, gold and "space gray" and runs a new chip, the A7, that is up to twice as fast as the A6. The new device also includes a fingerprint reader and a better camera with larger pixels.
The iPhone 5C is a cheaper version of the new device and comes in green, blue, yellow, pink, and white.
The Associated Press and ABC News contributed to this report.
technology, apple, iPhone, save money / consumer news
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 39 min ago
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash 45 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 7 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 16 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 28 min ago
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks