Save Money / Consumer News
Apple sells 9 million iPhone 5S in three days
CUPERTINO, Calif. (KABC) -- Apple has sold 9 million units in sales of the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C since the exalted smartphones were unveiled to the world Friday.
The new iOS7 software, which was released Sept. 18, has become the company's biggest software launch. It has been downloaded 200 million times and features an improved Siri, new notification sounds, organization tools and an iTunes Radio app.
No numbers regarding the iPhone sales have been released but Apple has confirmed that the launch number makes this their most impressive opening weekend. The sales tally beat last year's iPhone 5 launch by 4 million.
The iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C were sold out at many U.S. Apple stores across the nation. The new device has also been back-ordered online.
However, Apple CEO Tim Cook assures customers more stock is on the way.
"The demand for the new iPhones has been incredible, and while we've sold out of our initial supply of iPhone 5s, stores continue to receive new iPhone shipments regularly," Cook said in a statement. "We appreciate everyone's patience and are working hard to build enough new iPhones for everyone."
The latest iPhone 5S is available in silver, gold and "space gray" and runs a new chip, the A7, that is up to twice as fast as the A6. The new device also includes a fingerprint reader and a better camera with larger pixels.
The iPhone 5C is a cheaper version of the new device and comes in green, blue, yellow, pink, and white.
The Associated Press and ABC News contributed to this report.
technology, apple, iPhone, save money / consumer news
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 29 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis