Save Money / Consumer News
Health alert issued over Foster Farms chicken
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The U.S. Department of Agriculture has issued a health alert because of Salmonella concerns that may be linked to Foster Farms raw chicken products produced at three California facilities.
Officials say 278 people have become sick in 18 states, but most of the illnesses were reported in California.
The USDA says that strains of Salmonella Heidelberg are associated with chicken distributed to retail outlets in California, Oregon and Washington state.
A specific product sickening people has not been identified, and there is no recall, but the USDA mark on suspect packages would read: P6137, P6137A and P7632.
A Foster Farms spokesman said the infections were caused by eating undercooked or improperly handled chicken.
Health officials stressed that the public should properly handle and cook raw chicken. Cooking chicken to 165 degrees kills the Salmonella bacteria.
"We are committed to ensuring the safety of our products, and our family-owned company has maintained an excellent food safety record during its near 80-year history," said Foster Farms President Ron Foster in a statement. "We deeply regret any foodborne illness that may be associated with any of our products."
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is partnering with state health departments to monitor the outbreak while the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service investigates.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
food, health, save money / consumer news
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 30 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- CA DMV mulls how to regulate driverless cars
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 20 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
52 min ago