Save Money / Consumer News
Health alert issued over Foster Farms chicken
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The U.S. Department of Agriculture has issued a health alert because of Salmonella concerns that may be linked to Foster Farms raw chicken products produced at three California facilities.
Officials say 278 people have become sick in 18 states, but most of the illnesses were reported in California.
The USDA says that strains of Salmonella Heidelberg are associated with chicken distributed to retail outlets in California, Oregon and Washington state.
A specific product sickening people has not been identified, and there is no recall, but the USDA mark on suspect packages would read: P6137, P6137A and P7632.
A Foster Farms spokesman said the infections were caused by eating undercooked or improperly handled chicken.
Health officials stressed that the public should properly handle and cook raw chicken. Cooking chicken to 165 degrees kills the Salmonella bacteria.
"We are committed to ensuring the safety of our products, and our family-owned company has maintained an excellent food safety record during its near 80-year history," said Foster Farms President Ron Foster in a statement. "We deeply regret any foodborne illness that may be associated with any of our products."
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is partnering with state health departments to monitor the outbreak while the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service investigates.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
food, health, save money / consumer news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 24 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought 9 min ago
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street 46 min ago
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere