Odwalla chocolate protein drink recalled after peanut allergy reports
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Odwalla is voluntarily recalling its Chocolate Protein Monster drink after customers with peanut allergies reported severe reactions even though the drink isn't supposed to have any peanuts in it.
The recalled 12-and 32-ounce bottles were sold nationwide with "enjoy by" dates prior to and including May 23, 2012. The 12-ounce bottles are also available in variety packs sold at Costco stores.
Four customers complained of severe allergic reactions. The company says people who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to peanuts and/or tree nuts may run the risk of a serious or life-threatening reaction if they consume the drink.
Odwalla says it's working with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to figure out what caused the reactions, since the drink contains no peanut or tree nut ingredients.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
food, recall, fda, recalls
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 51 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease 29 min ago
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe? 24 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
19 min ago
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
12 min ago