GM recalls some sedans, SUVs over possible fuel leak
DETROIT (KABC) -- General Motors announced a recall of 40,859 vehicles Saturday due to a potential fuel leak. The recall was issued for cars sold in warm-weather states.
GM is recalling Pontiac G5 and Chevrolet Cobalt sedans (2007-2009 model years); Saturn Ion sedans (2007 model year); and Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent SUVs (2007 model year).
The recall was issued for those vehicles sold or currently registered in Arizona, California, Florida, Nevada and Texas. Arkansas and Oklahoma is also included in the Cobalt and G5 recalls.
Plastic parts connected to the fuel pump could crack in heat, causing a fuel leak and potential fire.
GM says there have been no reports of fires or injuries related to the defect. The company began investigating the issue in 2011 after a dealer reported fuel leaking from some vehicles.
GM says its warranty data indicates that the problem is far more common in warm-weather states. It will repair the vehicles for free in those states. Owners will be notified of the recall by mail.
But the company also plans to send letters to owners in other states offering a free repair within a limited time period if the parts are cracked. That offer is valid for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the date the vehicle was sold, spokesman Alan Adler said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 35 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence 14 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 3 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed 52 min ago
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...